VISSIA Press Kit
VISSIA [VISS-ee-yuh] Roots-Rock / Americana from Alberta, Canada.
VISSIA [VISS-ee-yuh] is an old soul who bleeds blues through intimate, lyric-driven songs. Broadly called Americana, VISSIA’s sound is is distinctly her own yet manages to connect listeners to their own most favourite private feelings and imagined landscapes. Her new album, Place Holder, is “a must-listen.” (Katherine Duncan, CBC Key of A) - pure rock ‘n’ roll at its finest from an artist who is set to breakout at any moment.
Raised in small-town Alberta, VISSIA has matured graciously as a musician. From composing, to recording, to album art and design, VISSIA’s ability to unite her talents and poetic instincts is a testament to her decade and a half engagement and perseverance in all areas of making music.
Since her solo debut in 2011, VISSIA has shared stages with Jim Bryson, Del Barber, Lindi Ortega, Whitehorse, Russel de Carle, Matt Anderson, and The Skydiggers. Her performances have included stages at the Edmonton Folk Music Festival, Canmore Folk Music Festival, Beaumont Blues & Roots Festival, as well as hundreds of tour dates across Canada from coast to coast.
“[Place Holder is] an impressive, swaggering way to say hello to a new voice… with a bluesy, adventuresome vibe that makes the songs a must-listen.”
– CBC Key of A
“Place Holder [has] such a timeless quality that you wonder why you haven’t already listened to it… If Kathleen Edwards were a little less sad, or Neko Case a little bit poppier, you’d get VISSIA.”
— No Depression
“VISSIA might be a new name, but she is an old soul who bleeds blues… This is pure rock ‘n’ roll at its finest from an artist who is set to breakout at any moment.”
“Place Holder is a colourful assemblage of VISSIA’s realizations when embracing the unknown. She’s matured graciously as a musician, now uniting her talents and poetic instincts. There’s no question that we’ll be pulling these snapshots out to admire again and again.”
— Canadian Beats
Place Holder LP/CD
Released November 10th, 2017
Hurry Hard Records
3. I Wanted
4. Make Her Stay
5. Night Romancer
6. The Kind of Good
7. Whiskey Walk
8. You Should Be Sleeping
9. You Don't Know Her
All songs written by Alex Vissia.
Produced by Alex Vissia & Emily Bachynski.
Mixed by Sam Kassirer.
Mastered by Philip Shaw Bova.
Hurry Hard Records
- The Great Escape, May 2018 – Brighton, UK – Showcasing Artist
- "You Don't Know Her" - Honourable mention in the 2018 Canadian Songwriting Competition
- "Mountaineer" nominated for Roots/Folk Recording of the Year at the 2018 Edmonton Music Awards
- "You Should Be Sleeping" added to CBC Radio 2 After Dark
- Place Holder charted on the NACC 200 for 5 weeks peaking at #142 in its third week
- Place Holder charted on Top 30 campus charts across North America at over 30 stations
- Top 10 Alberta Albums of 2017 - CBC Key of A
- Top 7 Edmonton Bands of 2017 - Gig City
- Place Holder Cross-Canada Tour, Fall 2017
- NXNE Showcase, June 19, 2017
Curated by the Rural Alberta Advantage
- 2017 Edmonton Music Awards Nominee:
ANZU - Stereophonic feat. VISSIA;
DJ/Electronic Recording of the Year
- Banff Centre Musician in Residence, Winter 2017
- ATB Financial "Resonate" Campaign Featured Performer
Place Holder - CD/LP: November 10, 2017
I Wanted - single - digital: September 22, 2017
You Should Be Sleeping EP - digital: August 11, 2017
I.O.U. - Single; ANZU ft. VISSIA: March 23, 2017
Resonate - Single; with Ben Spencer: August 25, 2016
Young Love EP - CD/digital: May 24, 2013
A Lot Less Gold - CD/digital: November 10, 2011